Recent Articles

It's been a while since I've last posted and there has been a lot going on. I'm back in the lab working on beats, but more notably I've decided to start a monthly music clinic downtown Portland at a friends recording studio. I have a variety of reasons for doing this. I think first and for most there are several talented artists out there who lack direction on how to take their music career to the next level and beyond. So I've decided to share my knowledge and bring in guest speakers to a monthly open discussion about the music industry and what it takes to make it. It is open to amateurs and professionals alike and everyone has the opportunity to share, learn and build a foundation for the future.

I've found this to be the most important thing on my "to do" list, as everything else takes the back seat. I admit I don't have every answer, but I do have lots of knowledge and experience and think that opportunities will arise from this. I have been pretty successful over the years, and learned from mistakes made in the past. One thing I've noticed over the years is the lack of unity. There is plenty of fellowship, times to kick it with others in the industry, how every, everyone has their own vision of success and take their own route to get there. My vision is that since so many share the same goals, we can pool our resources together, produce and publish quality product and reach a wider audience with a collective effort. That was some what the idea of my National Uprising mixtape project. By getting several individuals involved, we were able to reach a wider fan base then just going our own individual routes and by the end of the first weeks release, over 2000 units were purchased nationwide and over 10,000 units have been distributed nationwide since.

 I feel that it's just the tip of the iceberg and a large group of organized individuals can really put the Portland scene on the map permanently. Before we can reach out to a national audience, we need to rally the home town and get as much support as we can before we go for national appeal. That means building a solid foundation and fortifying the home base by creating a successful business model that can sustain us when we branch out. Traditionally this has been tough, but new technology has made it easier.

E-Mail me for more info on the March Music Clinic 2010. It is by invite only and seating is limited.

0 comments to “ ”